my discussions i have had with my girls about their daddy have been impromptu. as they get older, there are more questions, and the answers are more difficult. in now way do i claim to have all the answers, but here's a snippet...
when grace was 3, i told her that daddy was sick and he took some bad medicine that hurt him; she went around telling everyone that her daddy took a lot of bad medicine.
when she was 4, i told her he did it again, probably not the best explanation.
when she was 5 the questions came as her and her sister were in the bath. he had left suddenly the night before and they didn't get to say goodbye...they were angry, upset and confused. so was i. i was finally starting to understand the disease and i feel like the answers just came to me as i spoke them....
me:"you know how sometimes you have a tummy-ache? well daddy is sick. but he is sick in his head. he is going away to the mountains to go to a special camp where doctors and counselors can help him. he will take special classes and be around other people who have the same sickness so they can help each other."
grace: "like centers in kindergarten?"
me: "yes, like centers: one center will teach him how to eat the right foods, the other might help him exercise, another will help him to learn how to be organized, etc etc so that he can come home and be a better daddy"
grace: "will he live in a tent"
me: "no, it's a cabin"
grace: "okay, but i will miss him"
frelly: "me too mommy"
me: "it'll be okay though because we have each other and heavenly father knows that we are sad, and he will help us"
the next few months, we ate a lot of cupcakes, cried a lot of tears but our testimonies were strengthened as we were showered with support, love and understanding.
tonight came another talk.
grace: "what are we going to do tomorrow at the camp mom"
me: "well, we get to have breakfast and lunch with daddy and i will take some classes and you and faith and hank will watch a movie, play and maybe talk about how you feel"
grace: "could daddy, i don't want to say it....die?"
me: "he has a very serious disease called addiction, and yes, if he doesn't get better, he could die. but that is why he is going to the camp again, so he can learn how to fight it."
grace: "taegan's dog died, he had cancer"
me: "lots of sad things happen in this life, but, we know that in heaven everything will make sense and we will be together again. daddy is going to do the best that he can to fight his disease though, so please don't worry about that right now."
grace: "what is addiction?"
me: "you know how when you get sick i give you tylenol and you feel better? well when daddy gets sick and he takes medicine, his brain tells him to keep taking more and more, and it makes him even more sick. he needs to go back to camp so he can remember how important it is that he doesn't do that."
grace: "it's not fair that he has to be gone again"
me: "it's okay to be sad, i love you, now go to sleep and we will see him in the morning"
Family week at Cirque starts tomorrow. He is there, he is safe. I sold his truck today, had a pumpkin milkshake, read my scriptures, had a breakdown, took a Xanax, made a hair appointment for tomorrow, and now i am doing my new therapy..."blogging" because it's cheaper than new shoes and there is not a Sprinkles in Utah....
I love and appreciate you all more than you ever know. Your support and kind words are keeping me sane. xo, mo
10.13.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


21 comments:
SPUDS.. don't make me ball my brains out!!! You are the greatest mom, wife and friend! I LOVE you! Me and the Sprinkles workers miss you so get home soon! And give Gracie, Frells and Brad Pitt a big kiss from me!
will do spuds, will do. now call me back because my iphone isn't working.
Amanda you are an amazing mom. I know your kids appreciate your honesty and strength. If you need ANYTHING please let me know.
Amanda, I wish I had an ounce of your mothering ability. Your way with words with your children is inspiring and they are amazing little people because of you. Anthony is lucky to have you. Can I please bring you some cupcakes from out here? I know of a few hidden joints now. email me..
ashley.taylor@comcast.net
love you xoxoxo
You're doing a great job, Amanda- even though you probably don't give yourself enough credit. Your kids are lucky to have a mommy like you. I hope today goes well, I will keep a prayer in my heart today- just for you.
Mo...you are amazing and wonderful. You are the best mommy to my beautiful nieces and handsome nephew. Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he picked you to be their mommy.
*Tell Anthony we love him.
oh amanda, I am so sad to hear that this is still a trial in your life. you are and have always been an amazing person. I am so sad that we live so far away from each other and that I can not be there for you to cry with, or laugh with, or just be with. But I am thankful that we have been able to remain friends for almost 15 years. You have an amazing testimony and your faith and the love your heavenly father has for you will get you through this, and I know you know that. What an example you are to others by sharing your story to help others. Your kids are so lucky to have such a wonderful mother and although I am not around to see you with them, I can see through your blog pictures and how you talk about them what a devoted, fun loving mom you are! I hope you know how much I love you and miss you. If there is ANYTHING, ANYTHING that I can do for you please let me know. I left my number on your cell phones voice mail, if you need to talk or anything please call me, I am pretty much always home. I'll share with you my favorite scripture which helps me-- Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not unto thy own understanding, in all thy ways aknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths". You will be in my prayers everyday. I love you and hope to hear from you
love lindsey
I found your story through my cousin Summer's blog and just wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers and hope it's ok if I follow along with your blog on this journey. You are so brave for sharing your story..I think you are right, it is a problem that effects lots of members of the church and we just don't hear about it. Thanks for being a wonderful example of strength in so many ways. ~Janice
I came accross this quote and thought it was very appropriate.
In my thoughts and prayers. God
is good There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving It will work out
Amanda, Life teaches us what we need to know in ways we would never choose. I KNOW, what you are feeling, I KNOW, what you will be learning. If I can ever be of help to you. If you need a safe place to talk please let me offer what I can. barbara@gen-ins.com
I know we are generations apart, but this problem does not change through the years. Your ability to communicate about it is certainly different that when I faced these challenges. I had my Heavenly Father to talk to and he cared for me. He will care for you too and carry you through. He will also care for your husband, carry him through. Christ will make up the difference for the things which he could not overcome and the sadness that he and each of your family feel. Remember that you answer only to your Heavenly Father in the choices you make.
Lindsey, Jared, Melissa & Jordans mom. Barbara Wall Smith
Hi again, Amanda! I am just thinking about you and we are praying for Anthony and for you and your beautiful kids. As I read what you are dealing with and the talks you are having with your kids, tears are rolling down my face. I love you and I know that Heavenly Father will carry you through this. You are strong... even beyond what you think you are. I am so proud of you! xoxo
MO!!!! You are a brilliant woman! I hope that you know that I am always here for you and that even though we do not keep in touch as much as both of us would prefer that you are one of my best friends and greatest examples. You have a beautiful soul to match your gorgeous smile. It is my prayer that you know how much the Lord and everyone else adores you. Keep being the beautiful, happy you! You and your wonderful family are in my prayers and thoughts. your Big Bro, Jeffery Jon
Amanda,
You are absolutely amazing! I am inspired by your words. Thanks for sharing with us. I wish we could all be so open and allow others to love us during our challenging times. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you when you get home. I love you.
Christy
I just left a message on your machine tonight, having no idea you were struggling with this trial still! I so wish I was still your VT and want to help any way I can even though I'm not! So much love and so many prayers and tears for your beautiful family from me! EP
I guess I need to start bracing myself for lots of tears each time I click on your blog- a combination of knowing what you and your kids are going through so vividly and knowing YOU will get your family through this NO MATTER WHAT... and also my longing to be back closer to your side as you go through all of this. It kills me to not be close... I know all will be good no matter what- I just miss you guys immensely!!
Oh Amanda, I so understand your thoughts right now. I'm glad your kids get to be involved in family week. My girls were to young to go when I went for Eric. I can truly say that I have never in my life felt as close to the spirit as I have since this trial began. You are a strong and beautiful women. You are loyal and dedicated. Keep fighting..
Amanda! My oh my! I so admire your strength and courage. What a difficult trial to deal with--your children are so blessed to have you through this, as you are blessed to have them. Our thoughts and prayers and open arms are here for you along with our willingness to help you in any way we can. We love you!
I hope that family week is going good!! You and your kids are so amazing, and they will all understand this someday! I love you!
WOW! What beautiful words you speak to your daughters! I hope Anthony does get better! I hope you got my message about a run to in-n-out when you get home! I am craving it! You are in my prayers and I love you so much! Hang in there!
you inspire me! you are so strong and so logical. you are the best mom!
uh...is brad pitt at cirque??? Anyways, Mo you have been on my mind all week and I have been without a computer. Now I know why you have been heavy on my mind.I just had to hunt you down. You hang in there girl. I see you pulling yourself up by the bra straps and CARRYING ON. Every year I walk away from conference learning something different. The main thing that I got out of this year's conference was be brave and fearless. One of my favorite quotes is "Be brave, even if your not pretend to be....no one can tell the difference."
I heart you.
Post a Comment