10.15.2008

SERENITY PRAYER

god grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change

the courage to change the things i can

and the wisdom to know the difference........

"circling-up" is a powerful tool used in recovery. everyone in the room holds hands in a circle and says the serenity prayer in unison. the biggest circle (about 350 people) i have ever been in was about a month ago at the cirque "reunion". angels were present...i know it.

along with the prayer, we had a moment of silence as they rang a bell for each person who had been a cirque patient, who had lost their life to the disease. i will pray tonight that a bell will never have to ring for anthony.

7 comments:

Staffieri Family said...

I have been reading your words, feeling so inspired by your strength. Even though our experiences are so different, I can still relate to some of your comments and feelings about your struggle. My girls talk about how Lyla's brain is sick, and I love their simple wisdom in how they deal with these huge struggles. I pray that you continue to have the strength and love to endure, and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you now! Love, lizzy

Tammi said...

Those are powerful words...I can only imagine what they mean to you during such a time of emotional turmoil...Aren't you so glad you have your 3 loveable, squishable kiddos to squeeze onto when you don't feel anything but sad. They are the cutest darn little munchkins EVER! We'll continue to pray for you and your sweet family.

queenieweenie said...

I love you Mo. That is definitely all our our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Being in the meetings with you has been an emotional roller-coaster for sure, especially when I don't know what is going on or what I am supposed to do or say. You are doing better than I am! I am so proud of you as I see how the others look at you and respond to your wisdom and strength. Our savior's image is definitely in your countenance and I can feel angels surrounding you and Anthony in this struggle. We are all so blessed, even in our adversities.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I am Anthony's Aunt Mari. Just wanted you to know that my thoughts prayers are with you and your sweet family. Please try to remember that Anthony is a good man who made a big mistake. Our family loves him unconditionally. I have been praying for angels to surround all of our.

UsdailyReader said...

Amanda,

I have seen so many photos of you on Summer's blog. (Her husband's sister is married to MY husband's brother). My heart breaks for you. I have tears in my eyes as I write this. For several reasons:
1) I don't know if you have heard of me and the trial my family is going through. We just lost our 2 year old daughter after she choked on an apple. It was a freak accident. I have felt alone this week in my struggles. Wondering if "other people out there" whose lives look so perfect, and who haven't lost children, will ever have to struggle with anything as difficult. Or struggle "very much". Do they get to go on with their storybook lives while I continue suffering? It has been a very difficult struggle for me. Reading this has reminded me of the words from the hymn Lord, I would Follow Thee- "In the quiet heart is hidden sorrows that the eye can't see." I am not at all HAPPY to hear you are going through this, but your brave decision to share has somewhat lifted my burden in feeling alone in my refiner's fire. Thank you. You are not alone. And I am not alone.

2) My family has had struggles with addiction too. With drugs as well as other things. (though not my husband). But still very close to home. I am so so glad you are attending these groups. Have you ever been to the addiction recovery program the church does? They are wonderful meetings.

There are others on the other side of the veil fighting for you. I wish we could see them, but my heart tells me they are there. You are beautiful and I can tell you have spunk and fire in you. Your girls are lucky to have you and so is your husband. I am saying a special prayer for you right now and will continue to do so. I love the serenity prayer.

You mentioned selling your husband's truck. Is there a fund I can contribute to or one that we can start to help out your family (I don't know much about your situation. Like if Anthony still works, etc). Anyway, just a thought.
God be with you.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Whoops. I clicked to your blog from Summer's and was still logged into her blog account. That last comment was from me, Molly Jackson.