about a month ago the girls in my family were tested for BRCA 2 (breast cancer mutation gene).
my mom, an aunt and i tested positive for the gene.
it is a complex diagnosis & each individual has to take their personal circumstances into account. my aunt had a double mastectomy & a hysterectomy. my mom will be having surgery soon.
so.... do i have my ovaries removed now & freeze my eggs? do i wait a few years to see if i want more children? do i have a full hysterectomy asap? when & do i have my breasts removed? do i test vigilantly with m.r.i.'s, ultrasounds & mammograms every 6 months?
now that i am a single parent i feel an intense responsibility to my children to stay as healthy as i can. i am grateful for the knowledge i have & the choice to do something about it.
i do feel overwhelmed though, sometimes i don't think i can add much more to my list of trials right now, but, i will keep focusing on my "happy's", because i have so many.
in a nutshell, this is what BRCA 2 means:


8 comments:
Amanda, I've never commented on your blog, but I just have to say that you are such a strong and amazing woman and a fantastic mother. You have all these hurdles, yet you are staying strong. Now you post this, something I, too, have wondered about and I am inspired by your tranquility.
I just had to (finally) leave a comment...and thank-you for recognizing that it's a personal choice.
Amanda, I am so sorry you have this on your plate to deal with as well. You are such a strong person and will be rewarded for it! You are a remarkable person and wonderful mother. You kids are so lucky to have you in their life!
What!! This is crazy Amanda, and I'm so sorry! I wish i knew more about this and could give you some helpful answers. You will be fine and know that we are always thinking of you. We love you!
B & L
I was shocked when the family was found to have a mutation because I worked for Myriad who does the testing. Good luck
I wonder how many people have read your latest post and felt urged to comment only to look at a blank comment box unable to find appropriate words to offer. I've deleted and restarted at least 14 times this morning. Know what a blessing you are to so many people as you talk candidly about the bumps in your road. Also know how many people are behind you cheering for you and your little squad. Not just in some churchy, do gooder way, but because you pretty much rule. What a terrific mom you are! I love the patience you show as you teach and lead and nurture your kids. You'll bless their lives forever. I'm proud to know and love you.
Wow... those are crazy high statistics. That is scary. Ovarian cancer is a killer. That is what my Mom had. What do they recommend you do? I guess get tested regulary... not that it is easy to test for ovarian. I have a higher chance of it because of genetics but seriously you need to stop following in my Mom's footsteps! :) I'm sure stress doesn't help either...
Thinking of you! You have an amazing family that will surround you with support. You will be okay with any choice you make.
Tough decision to face... Have you looked at alternative options? I learned so much and was so grateful for all the info out there that helped me and served to improve my health all the way around when I faced breast cancer 3 years ago... I made some mainstream choices in my treatment, but mainly followed the alternative route, but ultimately only you can know what will be best for you.
Post a Comment