12.28.2008

Up all night.

i am staying at my parents house and have been in and out of sleep all night, trying to decide what to do with my life from here.

i have felt emotional anguish and pain beyond my imagination. i have made some serious decisions this past month with much guidance from the Lord and my loved ones. i have also struggled back and forth with my choices...but i have confidence and peace that i am heading in the right direction in choosing to end my marriage.

my sister allison is sick. she has a rare form of cancer & she is a fighter. she will do anything to survive this. i am in awe of the depth of her soul & her character. i love her.

my husband is sick also, a different kind of sick. he is also lost. he is not sure what to do to fight it. i love him.

the only way that i can think to describe my choice is with the following description of the novel Touching the Void about a rock climbing tragedy/triumph.

"Some members of the climbing community feel that Yates was mistaken to cut the rope, and that he should have held on as long as he could to give Simpson every chance to work out a solution to his predicament. Cutting the rope not only freed Yates to seek shelter from the storm, but dropped Simpson down to a sheltered spot where he too could survive the weather. Had the two fallen while roped together, it is possible that Simpson would still have survived, but it is very unlikely that Yates would have. As it was, Yates climbed down to base camp and met up with their traveling companion, Richard Hawking. Yates and Hawking lingered for a few days in base camp while Yates regained strength and his own injuries healed. When Simpson crawled into camp in the middle of the night, they were in fact intending to leave in the morning. Had Yates not returned to base camp ahead of Simpson, Richard probably would have left well before Simpson managed to crawl out of the crevasse and down to camp. Without anyone to help him out of the mountains, Simpson would have died there. Thus, by cutting the rope Yates actually saved Simpson's life."

i have to cut the rope so i can save myself, this goes against everything in my nature. it goes against everything i want to do, it goes against my core.

but, above the rope is not only me but, grace, faith & hank. by cutting it, i hope to give us all the best chance of survival, including anthony...

i hope & pray that he finds the will to survive & that he can make it back to base camp on his own.

31 comments:

My Little Clan said...

Amanda,
You are such an amazingly storng person. I can't imagine everything that you are going through; strugling with the choices you have made and are going to have to make. Your entire family is my prayers daily and I pray that find peace in all you decision making.
God Bless & Much Love,
Korinne

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Amanda,

I have commented before and must do so again.

I have never met you Amanda, but I want you to know...hmmm...what do I want you to know. I guess I want you to know that I ache for you and along side you. You are not alone in this. Although my trial is different, it is still a very deep loss and I share that indescribable pain that you speak of. I know it doesn't take away your pain to know that others are suffering to, but I hope it strengthens you to know that so much of humanity is suffering alongside you. Those who experience such deep and heavy pain are part of a special group of society, special children of our Heavenly Father with beautiful and strong spirits.

I live in Park City and know you come to this area to visit Anthony occasionally. I would love a chance to meet you sometime. I wish there were something I could do for you. I will pray.

I loved when you said that above the rope are faith, hope, and hank. At first I didn't remember those were your girls' names and I thought you were speaking of the virtues and reality of faith and hope (or is it grace?) Anyway, it was beautiful and it is true. Your children are there, and so is faith, hope, grace, and your Father in Heaven and Savior.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, the world is praying for you and your cute little kids. They are beautiful and no mom should ever doubt that you making these decisions for them and their future. It's amazing what we are willing to do for our children but we are their protectors and we need to do what's best for them. There are times that divorce is a blessing and I hope and pray that it will turn out to be a blessing not only for you, but for Anthony. Good luck, know that people you don't know are praying hard hard hard for you.

queenieweenie said...

My dear sweet MoMo...
I can't even imagine the depth of the ache you are feeling. This has to have been the most difficult decision of your life. Just remember that there are MANY who are willing to pull you up the rope along with grace, faith, and hank. I love you so much and I am in awe of YOUR strength and courage. You are my "little" sister, but I look up to you so much. You are strong, you are beautiful, you are a daughter of our Heavenly Father who loves you, and your are meant to be happy.

Jenny Mason said...

Amanda,
You don't know me, but I read your blog often and have been following your story. I want you to thank you for sharing your story...there are so many of us who struggle daily also and it gives us all hope that we will be okay regardless of what our struggles may be. I want you to know that I pray for you and your family every night. Your story and your thoughts have touched me in ways I could never put into words. In Relief Society today our lesson was about hope and our teacher asked us to think about someone we know that personifies hope for us and you were the first person that came to my mind. To put it simply...you are my hero. I truly admire your strength and courage.

Shalyse said...

Amanda,

I don't really know what to say, except that I too am thinking of you, your sweet little family, and your sister at this time in all of your lives! I know that you come from a wonderful family who is a great support to eachother.

What would we do without family, right?

You are an awesome mom! Your kids are so blessed to have been sent to YOU! I think of you often and please know that I, along with many other 'blog-friends' will be praying for you ALL!

p.s sometime soon we are trying to make a trip down there to visit my sisters in the OC and I'll have to finally meet you and Summer in person, and we'll have to try Srpinkles! :)

xoxo! -shalyse

Hess Fam said...

Amanda.
Your strength and faith are amazing. Prayers for you, from me!
Love,
Megan

Tammi said...

Amanda,
I'm sure this decision IS against everything you want to do! I mourn for you at the loss of your marriage and having to let Anthony find his own way. But I completely understand why you had to choose this...Ditto to all the comments about your amazing strength--you are a FABULOUS mother and are choosing a better life for your little ones. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Amanda You are such a wonderful person and I am so sorry that you are going through such pain. I really do appreciate that you share your life with me and have given me a greater understanding of the pain not only the addict goes through but also their family. I keep you and your family in my daily prayers and I know while you probably feel you are at such a low ebb you will find the strength to make the right decision. I am very sorry to hear about your sister. God is good he will help you with with your decisions. Please dont lose your great fighting spirit. Every best wish for a happy & healthy 2009 from all my family.

Laura Ek said...

Hi Amanda!! Just catching up on your blog, and I wish you all the best with this decision. I can't imagine the pain you have been going through, this is tough. You are a strong person and you can do this!! I'm here whenever you need to talk or vent!!

Jason and Layna said...

Amanda
You are amazing. I am so impressed with your testimony and strength. I love you and am praying for you and you family and I hope you find the peace and comfort you need and deserve.

SUMMER said...

It has been hard to see you go back and forth with this decision and for it to be so hard on you. I love you and only want what is best for you. I have seen your faith grow from this and have seen your prayers answered right before your eyes. This will not be an easy next couple of years. However, I know that you will get through it and be a stronger, happier person in the long run. BFF xoxo
P.S. I think you just might need a Sprinkles run today. Call me.

zuniga family said...

I love you! You are so amazing!

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I wish so bad I could be there with you in person right now- I know you hurt so badly to the core- and I know that no matter how strong your confirmation is that you truly are doing the right thing- it is still going to be deeply difficult. You are all- including Anthony, forever in our hearts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I wish so bad I could be there with you in person right now- I know you hurt so badly to the core- and I know that no matter how strong your confirmation is that you truly are doing the right thing- it is still going to be deeply difficult. You are all- including Anthony, forever in our hearts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Brother Banner wants you to know he is thinking of you and your family too. We love you guys and are here for you all always...

maryam said...

My dear friend. I love you. You have been on the forefront of our thoughts and prayers. We love your family and will always be here to help, love and uplift you in any way we can. You (we) need some R&R... I'm on it.

sachia said...

Amanda-

I would be up all night too! I am so sad to hear about your sister/Anthony and the knashing of the teeth I am sure you are trudging through at this very moment. I have been through some "times" myself and am here if you need a sounding board or just a shopping trip up here for the day. :) I'm here for you sweeite pie!

Hazen5 said...

Amanda, You ARE one strong women! You are also surrounded by strong people who love you and will support any and every decision you make. Take care and tell Frell she can come over anytime and play with my cat and dog!!

camille said...

As usual, my eyes are filled with tears and my heart is full of heartache for you, Amanda. I don't even know what to say, but I am thinking of you, praying for you and your sweet, beautiful family, hoping that your heart is full of comfort, and I know you will get through this. I love you! Please, please, please if there is ever anything you need don't forget you can call me. I would drop everything if you needed even the smallest thing! xoxo

Stella said...

I just don't know what to say, but I didn't want to read without leaving a comment. I'm here for you and your amazing family if you need anything!

Love,
Stacey

karlin said...

Amanda... I've been thinking about you too and wondering how you've been doing. I know this has been a hard decision for you and the fact that it has been so hard only shows your character. I've told you before but my Mom stayed with my Dad too long because it was against her core too but it only hurt everyone involved, especially my Dad because he never recovered. I hope that Anthony realizes what he is losing and is able to change. I'm so sorry you have to go through this but there will be light at the end of the tunnel. You are strong, not everyone could handle this as well as you. (I know just what you want to hear!) You're in my prayers. xoxo

e said...

Amanda,
My heart just hurts for you. I am so sad that it has come to this, but trust that you are doing what's best for you, the kids and anthony. You are incredibly strong and I admire your faith and trust in the Lord. You are not alone in this! You have your incredible family, your ward family, friends, and Him.
The Harris family will continue to pray for you. sending big hugs from up the street... xxo -elizabeth

ali said...

amanda. you brave soul. I am sending a prayer your way tonight! xoxo ali

Bill and Paige said...

My heart continues to ache for you. My prayers continue to be with you and your family. You are a strong women and mother. You are a role model for your children and they will grow up to be amazing individuals.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, you do not know me, but you have a beautiful family. I have been there...and you have to cut the rope to make it thru. I have been thru the EXACT thing you are going thru...with 3 kids about the same age...and pregnant. It took the divorce papers to show him I was not going to be there for him if he couldn't be there for us. Once he knew I would not support his habit, a light went off. The divorce never went all the way thru and we are still married now..and he has been sober for 2 years. So, no matter how it ends, you are probably going in the right direction now. I will pray for you daily, bc only God can send that angel to lift him up and bring him back to you now. Happy New Year! You have beautiful children. And I know every time you look at the middle one you see him..... The middle ones always bring out the hope......bc mine too looks just like her father! I wish you hope, faith and love!

Anonymous said...

Girl....Anthony is hott!! LOL

SUMMER said...

Annalise... Anthony is certainly a good looking guy but looks have nothing to do with anything at this point.

Anonymous said...

Sorry...didn't mean that you were wrong I just meant that you guys are hott together! Look back at all the photos of the two of you together, clearly you are in love! I know--none of my business and I know nothing about you or your situation...I stumbled across your blog thru others and something draws me back to it...maybe the cute kids with the matching adorable clothes,or your cute smile, but prolly mostly bc of the cute family and all the things you do..togther...I will stay off of it to make you feel better, something doesn't quite draw me as much without all five of you on it....

Anonymous said...

Seriously Amanda, how do these 'Annalises' of the world find your blog and why do they make such ignorant comments?

kate said...

we love you and those kids! we are always here and think of you everyday! we have been in park city almost 2 weeks and are missing you!